Friday, March 28, 2008

Tools for Self Massage:

So why would a massage therapist talk about self massage? Simple, I know very few people that have the time or money to get massaged as often as they need. Massage therapy can be important in recovering from exercise and helping avoid injuries.

Two different devices I like to use for self massage are the Stick and the Tiger Tail massager. The Stick has been around longer and is more widely used. The Tiger Tail came out about 6 months ago.

The Stick is a long, flexible bar with plastic rollers that conform to the shape of your muscles. I like to use it prior to exercise or stretching. It brings blood flow to the muscles and helps loosen them up. You can use slow movements with deeper pressure or faster ones to help stimulate the muscles. I use it on my legs and then go through my warmup.

The Tiger Tail is a one piece rolling massage device, similar to the Stick. It is shorter and has a firmer pressure. I like both of them and they both work pretty well, in my opinion. The Tiger Tail may be a little easier to take with you in your gym bag, because it is smaller.

Neither one replaces a good massage therapist, but gives you the benefits of massage on a more regular basis. The Tiger Tail can also be used on the arms and upper body. Once again, because it is smaller, it is much easier to do this by yourself.

Other methods can include a tennis ball, foam roll, or massage ball. The foam rolls have become popular in athletic training centers as part of the warmup. They can be fairly painful the first few times, though. If you have no injuries and a high pain tolerance, be my guest.



If you would like to read more, go to my articles on Self Massage for Pain Relief and Prevention.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Dieta, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://dieta-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Unknown said...

Have you ever compared the tiger tail to a smaller version of The Stick? Such as the Little or Travel? Both are much smaller and are very affordable. I like the little stick since it fits very well in a workout bag and I've even taken it on plane flights in carry on.