Thursday, February 14, 2008

Balance 101 - Trying to Prevent Falling:

We're still in Winter's icy grasp here in the Midwest. More snow this season than in the past couple of years and the temps have been plenty cool to boot.

Along with plenty of shoveling comes plenty of fender benders, plenty of falls on the ice as well. Local hospitals have reported many visits for cuts, bruises, and other injuries.

I've slipped quite a few times myself. Many times after a "light" snowfall that was just enough to cover the ground..... or the ice as it turns out. A couple of times I slipped on ice that was as smooth as glass underneath the snow.

So how did I manage not to fall this Winter? Simple, I do plenty of strength exercises for my legs and hips - many of them while standing, to increase my balance and coordination. Leg strength is one of the factors in preventing a fall, whether it be ice or whatever.

Granted, I'm probably a few years younger than some of you, but I'm also probably a lot taller. At about 6' 5", I have a pretty high center of gravity..... which should make me more susceptible to falls than someone much shorter.

But by doing plenty of exercise in a standing position my balance and coordination is enhanced. Here is a video that shows some of the exercises I do for my lower body:




No comments: