Friday, August 21, 2009

Chiropractic Combined with Posture Training

I recently started receiving chiropractic care that involves posture reeducation, including standing on a vibration platform while wearing a weighted "hat."

A couple months ago, I met a chiropractic husband and wife team at a local wellness fair. I had my own vibration platform there and we talked briefly about the benefits, including stimulating the postural (anti-gravity) muscles through the reflex muscle contractions.

They agreed with me and told me that they include posture training in their clinic. Having worked in two different chiropractic clinics, I was curious to see what they did. I recently started receiving adjustments from them, along with the re-education process.

They took x-rays of my neck, which showed that my cervical spine (neck) isn't what it should be. Too much time sitting and bike riding have apparently done a number on me. I haven't been doing enough joint mobility work, either.

In any case, they seek to restore the proper curve of my neck, so that my nervous system is functioning at an optimal level. This includes stretching for my neck and the work on the vibe plate.

This has me standing on a vibration platform for about four minutes while wearing a "hat" with two pounds of weights in the front. The object is to hold my head in proper alignment while the vibrations stimulate numerous muscle and joint receptors, helping to correct your posture.

I have to say, I do notice a difference in my alignment and I think that there is a lot of promise to this concept. Of course, having my own vibration platform in my studio, I believe strongly in the benefits of this type of training, especially for those with past injuries, who may have difficulty exercising with more traditional methods.

I also recently received some quality deep tissue massage, which has also helped and I have been doing more joint mobility movements to further enhance my health.

The position used at the chiropractic clinic works on static posture in a standing position, while mobility training teaches you to move with proper alignment - posture in motion.

I think that they probably compliment each other, where the combined effects are greater than just one or the other. In any case, I think that you will be seeing more of this in the future.

I still believe in quality soft tissue therapy and proper strengthening exercises, for optimal function. One thing is for sure, in an era that has most of us being very sedentary in our daily lives, programs like this are needed now more than ever.

Get moving!

Brian

No comments: