Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Addicted to Running:

Are you one of those who are addicted to running? If so, you may be at an increased risk for an overuse injury.

About four months back, I wrote about a local jogger with a distinct running style. I had noticed that this person started wearing an ankle wrap while out for his jogs. His running style
had changed and it was clear that he was limping somewhat.

While his unique running style likely contributed to his injury, it was interesting that he couldn't give up his runs, even if they were causing pain.

I believe that many joggers are addicted to running and will try to run no matter what, even if it causes pain. My personal belief is that you should do some cross-training
to reduce the risk of overuse injuries.

Ride a bike, lift some weights, or try some swimming. Give your joints a break from the constant pounding of the pavement.

As the temperatures have cooled somewhat, my bike riding has been put aside. I still enjoy driving by the mighty Mississippi on my way home, even if I will not be using the bikepath that runs beside it.

Many times that addicted jogger is out for a run and I notice that his style has been altered to avoid any more injury. I'm curious if some therapist advised him to change his running style
or he did that on his own.

Bottom line, if you are one of those who is addicted to running, at least be sure to do some flexibility work and get some massage work done. If you can't get to a therapist often enough,
try some of the self massage techniques on my website.

I also posted some new articles on my website - using water therapy to overcome injuries, the Burdenko Method, and politically incorrect fat loss.

No comments: